NetGalley

Reviews Published

Friday, November 18, 2011

That Guernsey Pie

I'd heard of the book before and I remembered it. Who wouldn't, with a title that's too long to fit on the spine? Ok, if truth be told, I forgot the title several times, though I did recognise it whenever somebody mentioned it. Oh, yeah, the Potato Peel Pie book. Any good? No thank you, not for me. It's about the war, right? I don't do war.

I indeed don't do war, having been brought up on movies, TV series, radio programs and readers about WW2. I get it why we shouldn't forget, but honestly, is concentration camp material suitable viewing for a 6-year old?

Eventually, sick of my fast-food genre reads, I did give "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" a try. Glad I did. Easy to swallow and digest, and it lingers long in the memory.

1 comment:

Mynhard said...

It starts a bit too slowly, but once it picks up it's very hard to put down. Beautifully written, funny and poignant.