NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Day Break

You won’t believe this, but this is yet another book-unrelated blog. I’m expecting Santa to deliver some reading matter, though, so... no, wait, those books will all be Polish. Well then, I’ll visit the local library as soon as my book launch is over and I have time again....

Meanwhile, I switch on the mind-sucker at night when I’m too tired to work and too tired to sleep, and I’ve discovered a promising new series. It’s not Prison Break or Lost by any means, but I’ve watched 2 episodes and am willing to give the third one a go, so it can’t be that bad.

The series is called Day Break, and if I were to pitch it as an idea to my publisher, I’d say “Groundhog Day meets 24”. In a nutshell: the hero is accused of murder and he must keep on re-living the same day until he gets it right (presumably, until he figures out how to clear his name, save his girlfriend, sister and partner, and possibly lock away the baddies too, since he’s a cop). You get 2 days per episode, and the days are rather different despite the fact that it’s all the same day, so the pace is good (not as stressful as Prison Break, not as slooooooooooooooow as Lost).

The best thing about Day Break is that I’m pretty sure it’ll finish within its allocated time span and there will be no Season 2. And it’ll definitely finish in time for Lost to come back in February. Lost has a few problems, but I care deeply about its characters, and everything else is just a distraction while I’m waiting for Sawyer and co. to return. (A special note to JJ Abrams: you kill Sawyer, I stop watching.)

6 comments:

Modern Man said...

My sister's husband, Adam, has recently put his foot down and flatly refused to watch LOST anymore. She, Amy, said "fine" kissed him sweetly and never broached the subject again.

Over the next couple days, Adam noticed Amy with Daniel Dafoe's 'Robinson Crusoe' in he hands.

late of Friday evening, he was awoken by the sounds of John Ford's 'The Hurricane' then Hitchcock's 'Lifeboat' another night.

I haven't seen LOST but it seems to have a huge effect on people's lives whether they watch it or not!

Check MY blog!

Pleeeeeease...

Modern Man said...

Sorry for grammar errors, didn't realize as I published...

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

To Modern Man: yes, it's amazing how TV can affect our lives. LOST in particular seems to have created not only a fan cult, but a curious dependence on itself. I wonder how I'll survive till February without it!

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

To Anonynmous: what were you looking for?

Anonymous said...

I don;t think Anonynmous knows what he was looking for. He seems to have found google though.

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

LOL, Lee. I got the same comment on my work blog, so I can only guess Anonymous was looking in all the wrong places...