NetGalley

Reviews Published

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Enormous Wings

What can I say about "Enorous Wings" by Laurie Frankel that will make you reach for it without knowing anything about it? Without reading the blurb even?

How about this: I love books by this author. The characters are always quirky, the issues meaty, and the plots unexpected.

If that's not enough, scroll down for almost-spoilers.


This is such an unusual, thought-provoking book. It takes a premise that sounds almost impossible and uses it to explore some very real questions about family, ageing, choice and who gets to make decisions about our lives.

I particularly enjoyed the mix of serious themes with humour. It never felt like a heavy-handed social issues novel; there’s plenty of warmth, eccentricity and humanity in the characters. It also made me think about some questions I’m not sure have easy answers — always a good sign for me.

A clever, unusual and surprisingly funny read, with plenty to think about after you’ve finished it.

No comments: