NetGalley

Reviews Published

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

I thought long and hard whether to read "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes", the prequel to the Hunger Games Trilogy. Prequels are tricky. You have to maintain the voice and the mood, you have to offer something original but the same, you can't introduce inconsistencies or create paradoxes. 

So, I've just finished reading it, and really, really liked it. The voice. The mood. The originality as well as the sameness.

As far as I noticed, no inconsistencies or paradoxes (but do let me know in the comments if I'm wrong).

Things I valued: bearing witness to how the actual Hunger Games evolved. 

Things I valued but was saddened by: the character journey of Coriolanus Snow.

My only criticism: the book was not long enough. I wanted more. More game evolution. More history. More words. Suzanne Collins, please write another prequel.




No comments: