NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dexter

I'm an impatient viewer: sometimes it takes me less than 5 minutes to make up my mind that I don't want to watch a particular movie or TV series. Most of the time, I'm right. With Dexter, I was wrong.

My tolerance for violence and disturbing topics (be it on the screen, in newspapers or in books) is rather low, so as soon as I saw flashbacks of teenage victims, I made up my mind it's not a program for me. Months later, having heard so many good things about the series, I decided to close my eyes during the flashbacks and to give Dexter another chance.

Glad I did. I love the intelligence with which the script's been written, the unpredictability and the quirky humour. The dialogues are good, the acting's good, the plot's brilliant. I can't understand how the writer did it, but - unbelievable as it may seem - she made me care about Dexter.

I still close my eyes and my mind during the gory bits.

No comments: