NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Novel About My Wife



So, what do I say about a book that had me spellbound all the way through, made me read late into the night, until I reached the last pages, realised there's no more, then flung the book across the lounge in disappointment? No, not because the book was finished - because the book was finished without resolution.

I understand the author's intent all right: the reader is in the head of the narrator, a guy who's trying to get to know his now dead wife. He's left it too late, should have paid her more attention when she was alive, now he's going to learn nothing, nah-nah-nah-NAH-nah!

I get that. Punish the character all you like. But don't punish the reader. What have I done to deserve it?

compelling characters + beautiful writing - satisfying ending = a book I cannot recommend

No comments: