NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blood Diamond

Ok, so I’m about as up-to-date as a paper version of Encyclopaedia Britannica. That’s what happens when you are SuperBusinessWoman, SuperMum, SuperCook and SuperNovelist... you don’t have time to be SuperViewer. Nevertheless, following the decision to take it easy (ok, easier), I’ve actually watched a movie.

“Blood Diamond” didn’t appeal to me when it was released, chiefly thanks to the violence and the war-with-child-soldiers theme. Still, my Afrophilic tendencies won, and I watched one of the best films made in the last couple of years.

While the script of “Blood Diamond” may not offer many twists or turns or original turns of phrase, the acting and the photography are Oscar-worthy. The message is there, a tad too obvious perhaps, but it’s an important message nonetheless. The leading man is gorgeous. And the accents warm my heart.

No comments: