NetGalley

Reviews Published

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Carmelo Rafala escapes velocity

With Issue 2 of Escape Velocity on the stands, it's time to talk to one of its contributors. Today, drinking a virtual glass of champagne with me, is Carmelo Rafala.

1. Your story, "Mother Tongue" was published in Escape Velocity. Quick, make us want to read it!
On a mission to tame a new world, man will turn against man, and even mother nature herself will have her say.

2. Who is your favourite SF/F mainstream author, and why?
I really enjoy the short works of JG Ballard. He is really a surrealist when it comes to writing science fiction. There are always things left unsaid and questions that need answers, and a simple sense of the bizarre. However, the brilliant thing about Ballard is that these questions never make you feel like you've missed something, nor do they detract from enjoying the story.

3. What is your personal definition of SF?
Science fiction to me is not simply ray guns and exploding space ships, although that is obviously a part of it. It is a medium from which to see ourselves as well, to gain distance from the human condition in order to see it more clearly. That would be my personal definition, or part of it.

4. I love that: gain distance to see more clearly. Yes. Now share something personal with us.
I'm an obsessive daydreamer. Even when I am working, my brain goes out of its way to find a moment to wander off somewhere. It's embarrassing when it happens in the middle of a conversation but it does. My friend said my eyes literally glaze over. On a particular day I was in a heated discussion and suddenly I "fazed" out. My friend later told me he was taking bets as to how long it would take for the other person to realise I was no longer "there". I'm terrible!

5. Do a quick plug for Escape Velocity.
Escape to new worlds. Escape Velocity!

No comments: