NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Your Christmas Wish List


I admit I stole this idea straight from http://sormag.blogspot.com/2007/12/wish-list-room.html. But it’s such a good one, it needs to be propagated. And besides, don’t they say that plagiarism is the finest form of flattery?

So this is your chance to share your list of books you would like to find under the tree this season, or the list of books you wish on others (for noble or not so noble reasons).

Authors, feel free to advertise your book.

Here is a short appetiser to get you going: this Christmas I wish... I wish... I wish that everybody would spend 80 cents on “Small Price to Pay”:

I didn't mind it when I discovered that Nick was having an affair. I mean, I did mind, but we'd been married twenty years. We've had some good times, we've had some bad times, but most of all, we've had some very long lacklustre times. What more can I say?
So it was not the affair that hurt. It was what he'd said.
A week ago, I picked up the phone to arrange a summer camp for the children. That's when I heard her voice--on my phone--to my husband--discussing a holiday away together.
"I'll keep the sheets hot for you, Nicky."
Nicky? I had tried calling him that once in our early days, and Nick had hated it.
"Hot, huh?" Okay, so flirting is not my husband's strong suite. But his voice was liquid chocolate.
"That's right. Hot. Come as quickly as you can."
I almost burst out laughing when I remembered, unkindly, how quickly Nick can come.
"Patience, M," Nick was saying meanwhile. "We have a whole week."
M. My husband was having an affair with M, the least likely Bond girl of them all.
"Aren't you worried to leave your wife alone for that long, though?" she teased. "What's good for the gander, you know...."
"Nah," replied my husband. "She's too vain to have an affair when she's fat."
....

8 comments:

Lorain said...

Please tell me Nick is lined up for a horrible and sticky end...
Merry Christmas

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

LOL, Lorain, Nick in "Small Price to Pay" gets exactly what he deserves, "not a penny more, not a penny less"....

Anonymous said...

Some books I'd like to have:
Ian McEwan's books that I do not yet have
JM Coetzee's books that I do not have
All Nicolas Freeling's books
Marianne Frederiksson's books
Khaled Hosseini's books

Anonymous said...

I know what my sister is getting for Christmas - a copy of the Sisters in Crime anthology, MURDER NEW YORK STYLE, with my story (as M. E. KEMP) on page 319!!
I also know what book I DON'T want in my Christmas stocking -- THE QUIET GIRL by Peter Hoeg -- b-o-r-i-n-g; and I loved SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW! Marilyn aka: M. E. KEMP

Anonymous said...

A wonderful Christmas to you and yours, Yvonne!

I'm thoroughly enjoying "Guerrilla Marketing for Writers", and would recommend it to anyone.

And my books, "In Flames" and "ErRatic", are now available for preorder on Amazon!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Cheers,
ND | Melody

Jane Beckenham said...

Jingle Bells to you and the family Yvonne. I've a stack of to be read beside the bed and hoping to get through it during the holidays! Got my first pressie though - received my print copies of He's The One. Yummy cover. You can check it out at Fictionwise.com or lindenbayromance.com
Merry Christmas.
Jane Beckenham
www.janebeckenhamc.om

Sherry said...

Merry Christmas Yvonne!

These are some of the books I'd like to find under my tree this Christmas...

Elizabeth Smither - Different kinds of pleasure.
Marcos Zusak, The book thief
Andrew Martin, The lost luggage porter
Sylvia Brownrigg, The delivery room
Travis Holland, The archivist's story

and of course many many more but thought this would be enough to expect for one Christmas!

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

Here is a book my husband was very pleased to find under our Christmas tree: An Unusual Angle by Greg Egan. And boy, did Santa have trouble locating this one!