NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Defying Gravity

"Defying Gravity" is a fairly new TV SF series. Described to me as "Grey's Anatomy in Space", it lived up to its tag. Not that there is a lot of medical stuff going on (surprisingly, there is SOME), but the way we are drawn into the characters and their lives (both Before Space and While In Space) is absolutely addictive. All the important topics are covered, like love, religion, abortion, pride, guilt, regret, friendship. The pilot was ok, the first episode very good, the second episode brilliant - and by then I was hooked.

So it's not really surprising, is it, that the show got canned? While ABC denies having cancelled the screening ("we're just taking a break"), they do mention the declining popularity ("only 2 million viewers") apropos nothing in particular, so I'm reading between the lines.

Let me add my moan to the eloquent voices already posted. Grrrrr! Whenever somebody comes up with an intelligent series, the powers that be cut it. I think we're all supposed to learn to enjoy reality shows....

No comments: