NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Shopaholic and Baby


I feel a lot better reading the Shopaholic series now that I know that their author, Sophie Kinsella, is actually the well-respected writer Madeleine Wickham. So while I wait for Madeleine to come to her senses, I enjoy the substitute.

The heroine irritates me on many levels (she is an irresponsible spendthrift and not super-bright), what I love about her is that she is a good, decent, fun-loving girl, loyal to her friends and family. I would be a richer person for having her number in my address book... well, not richer in the money sense, because she would take me shopping for cute preschooler dresses cuter still t-shirts for my children, but you know what I mean.

You see, I hate shopping. Whether it’s the weekly groceries, a hunt for a new TV or a summer dress, it’s just no something I would choose to spend my precious time on. The exception being baby clothes. Now that I’m a mother, I can look without gagging at a pink dress with roses and fairies and actually think “aaaw”. My monthly budget is blown on a regular basis by unscheduled visits to Pumpkin Patch. You get the picture.

This is why I could relate to “Shopaholic and Baby” and why I didn’t think five prams was too many. And I wished I also had a Circus Nappy Changing Table.

If you’re in any doubt that the author is a good writer, read the chapter towards the end about what it feels like to gaze upon your newly born baby. Totally authentic!

No comments: