NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Invisible

This post is about Margaret Murphy's "Now You See Me", or, more specifically, about a single sentiment expressed in the book: "Her greatest dream was to be invisible".

Now, I just don't get it. I spend my life dressing in red, I have a web presence, I want to play first fiddle at every gathering. The idea that somebody would want to be so diametrally opposite is just....

Well, it's an idea anyway. Perhaps I should have as my next protagonist somebody akin to Megan in Ms Murphy's book: secretive, antisocial, apparently dull. Perhaps that way people will stop saying: "Your heroine, why, she's just like you"! And then I'll stop saying: "Well, you see, not really. It was a joke: to create a heroine who appeared similar, but in fact... oh, forget it."

A good book, by the way, that "Now You See Me". Clever dialogue, good technical detail, no excessive violence and only one car chase. I suppose, in this day and age, we can't ask for much more. :-)

No comments: