NetGalley

Reviews Published

Friday, February 02, 2007

Be My Valentine

It’s early February, so naturally my thoughts tend to gravitate towards Valentine’s Day. How did this social conditioning happen? For the first 12 years of my life I didn’t even know about this tradition: we were sheltered from all the Evil Capitalist Inventions when we lived under Communism....

So anyway, it’s early February and I’m choosing my reading matter accordingly. At the moment, I’m trying to get my hands on a copy of “Be My Valentine” by Jane Beckenham. No, it’s not a pure romance (think “The time traveller’s wife” by Audrey Niffenegger) : it has time travel, it has pirates, it has the allure of the Carribean. And it has Romance with a capital R.

Set in Jamaica—land of pirates, prostitutes and rum - on Valentine’s Day. The protagonists, Dave and Tyler, are thrust back in time, shipwrecked and sold into slavery. And yet, Be My Valentine is a story of hope. It’s a story of a love that lasts an eternity. Only on Valentine’s Day. And forever more.

(Available from http://www.trebleheartbooks.com/BeckenhamSynops.html.)

No comments: