NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The White Masai

I must be really missing Africa, because I really wanted to see “The White Masai”, despite all the mediocre reviews. The movie is everything I usually hate about older-fashioned movies (like Jack Nicholson’s “The Passenger”, for example): slow, with little dialogue and lots of scenery and a simple predictable plot. I enjoyed every minute of it.
Perhaps it was the foreign-movieness that added to the film’s magic (it’s always cool to watch something in another language, plus non-American films tend to be less formulaic). Or was it the romantic notion of love at first sight that made it such a compelling tale?
Either way, I was delighted to discover that the movie’s based on a book, and I can’t wait to read it.
Speaking of reading, I haven’t had very much time for books lately (the little reading I do all has to do with raising children, and the only books I tend to look at nowadays are my own, in preparation for the launch), so it’s no surprise really that two of my blogs in a row talk about movies instead.
“The White Masai” has whet my appetite for things African, so as soon as we can get a babysitter, we’ll be seeing “Wah-wah”. I don’t like Richard E Grant, so watch this space.

2 comments:

amiable amy said...

I'm just reading your page and likes your thoughts and admire the range of ideas you have posted here. How I wish I can read more books ...hmmm. Anyway, I met a friend last summer when he was assigned in Afghanistan. His name is Jeff Walus, he is a nice man but, we lost contact. I pray he is well and in good health really. Are you related? Well, just wondering. Can I also ask if you happen to read the books written by LEO BUSCAGLIA? I just admire his ideas in the 3 books I have of him. Thanks. Goodluck.

Amy N

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, I can't help you to locate Jeff. I'm aware of a Walus branch of the clan living in the States (one of them is also a poet like myself), and I'm pretty sure we all come from the same mountain village in the South of Poland, but that's generations ago.

Yvonne