NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Angels in Disguise

I am fascinated by the concept of angels, so the title of the book grabbed my attention straight away. I’m not sure what I expected from a murder mystery novel called “Angels in Disguise” (by Betty Sullivan La Pierre), but what I got was a book rich in emotions as well as a good plot.

When I was younger, I defined a good murder mystery by how complex the plot was and how difficult it was for me to solve it. But, with time, I started to prefer books with likeable characters, interesting emotional developments and... well... depth. “Angels in Disguise” has them all.

For those of you intending to read it, a caveat. Perhaps I’m slow, but it took me a while to realise that the book is one of a series (8th in the Hawkman series). It may make sense to start at number 1, though the book can of course be enjoyed as a stand-alone.

A quick plot summary: Hawkman is hired to find a missing wife. The couple are separated, though the husband still picks up the bills, possibly because he wants to provide a comfortable home for his daughter. As the trail heats up, Hawkman is threatened to drop the case or the child will be hurt. Meanwhile, his own life is not in the greatest shape with the news of his much loved wife’s illness....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well, I guess my subscription came through after some trial and error! I would only suggest that you list the publisher of the book; helps when ordering a book. thanks and good to join you down under. M. E. KEMP

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

Good point, M.E. The publisher details for "Angels in Diguise" are as follows:

Paperback: 296 pages
Publisher: BookSurge Publishing (June 9, 2006)
ISBN: 1419633171