With that in mind, I almost hesitate to write a post about books we love. We did a quick poll in my book club group, and we discovered that, no matter which book we mentioned, for every two members who enjoyed it, another member would hate it. I guess two to one are not such bad odds... if everybody on the planet bought my books and only 33.3% disliked them, I'd be very happy (not to mention fabulously rich).
Still. The books in which I personally found magic enough to keep them on my shelves, include:
- everything by Joshilyn Jackson, because of their quirkiness and the beauty of language
- "Gone with the wind", because I admire the heroine
- "I don't know how she does it", because I identify with the heroine
- "We need to talk about Kevin", because I dislike the heroine
- Terry Pratchett's Discworld, because of the ideas and humour
- Harlan Coben's thrillers, because I love his voice
- Nick Hornby's fiction, because it speaks to me
Oh well. Eclectic tastes are not always a blessing.
Incidentally, I'm not a man and I prefer whisky. Single malt.