NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

I'm currently listening to "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution" by none other than Richard Dawkins. It's a good book, an almost perfect balance of scientific and layman terminology. I particularly enjoyed the story about the flog with a bit of belly skin grafted onto its back... read the book if you want to find out about it. It was also fascinating to learn how quickly physical changes can occur in lizard and fish populations when their gene pools are isolated from one another.

But, and it's a big one, there is one problem with the overall argument made. While the whole evolution argument is sound and I have no trouble accepting it, what I do have an issue with is the concept that there is no overall designer. Yes, I get that there is no blueprint and cells do things on their own, independently of one another, independently of any global picture. So?

There may not be a design an embryo follows. That may be exactly how The Designer designed it.

1 comment:

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

PS I've now finished the book and had to smile when I got to the part about the beginning of life on earth, Darwin's "warm pond" quote and the author's bafflement as to how it all began.
What made the first RNA/DNA decide to replicate?
As somebody who firmly believes in evolution as well as in the Creator, I'd like to offer you my own take on the big bang: "And God said, Let there be light."