It’s been almost a month since our get-away break at Le Lagon in Port Vila, Vanuatu, and still, the memories linger. As far as tropical island holiday resorts go, it’s one of the best this side of the equator.
· The property is vast, it’s almost like a village all to itself, with spotlessly clean bures hiding in immaculately maintained gardens. It really is like living in paradise, even if you don’t pay extra for a private villa or an over-water island bure.
· The property is outside the actual city of Port Vila – close enough that a taxi ride takes just a few minutes, far enough that you don’t hear the noise.
· The staff are all super friendly and super helpful. When my son hurt his finger during our excursion to the waterfall, a concerned Le Lagon receptionist called us to find out how he’s doing.
· The food at the resort’s Wild Ginger restaurant is out of this world. Seafood and Asian influences dominate, but you also find French influences here when it comes to Crème Brûlée and the general presentation of the courses.
· The poolside bar will serve you drinks inside the pool. There are even bar stools under the water for your convenience.
· The spa pool is huge and a welcome relief on cooler evenings.
· The beach is the perfect place to look at the starfish, hire a kayak or lounge with a book.
I can't wait to go back. Oh, and my latest novel was born there. My daughter was having braids put into her hair (it took two hours as her hair is long and thick), so while I waited, I started to scribble. Watch this space...