WARNING to my regular readers: This post is only about soccer. If you haven't caught the bug yet, read Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch.
Now, to FIFA 2010, and in no particular order:
- Despite all the glam expectations and promises of foreign money pouring into the country, fewer that 8,000 tourists entered South Africa on a FIFA visa. If the number seems reasonable enough to you, here's some perspective: the purpose-built Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg can hold over 88,000 spectators.
- I'm not blaming those who chose to stay away. I did, too. To find out why, read this article.
- Bafana Bafana played an awesome game against France, and the only reason they didn't get to go through was the disgraceful ref call (penalty) in the game with Uruguay. It's unfair that the diving Uruguay team is going into the elimination stages and I hereby promise to support any team playing against them. Except for Italy, that is....
- All Whites played an awesome game against Italy, and the only reason they might not get to go through is the disgraceful ref call (penalty) in the game with Italy. It's unfair that the diving Italy team is going into the elimination stages and I hereby promise to support any team playing against them. Except for Uruguay, that is.
- If you want to know why I love soccer, look at the photos of the Portuguese team (on this post).