NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, September 24, 2009

"The Dark Room" by Minette Walters

Minette Walters is not a "cozy" mystery writer by any means, and some of her scenes remind the reader that murder is not a puzzle for armchair detectives: it is a cold, cruel, violent act with sad consequences.

Nevertheless, her murder mysteries can rival Agatha Christie's. They are plausable, beautifully written and often difficult to predict.

I'm currently listening to "The Dark Room" on CD (it's amazing how much I look forward to emptying the dishwasher and peeling potatoes when I have a good book in my CD player). I've read the book twice before, and I'm really enjoying hearing it again.

The story's premise may sound cliched (woman with amnesia suspected of killing her wayward boyfriend and the best friend who stole him), but it's executed with such quirkiness that it will have you guessing till the last page.

No comments: