NetGalley

Reviews Published

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Sex (Goddess) and Murder Mysteries

Sex certainly sells. To a certain niche market, I grant you that, but it sells. Combine it with another market, that of murder mysteries, add some innovative marketing (in this case, publishing via email) and you get "The Daughters of Freya".

The premise is simple: a cult worshipping Freya, the Norse goddess of sex, is giving away sex as a means to get rid of all the negative energy in the world. Enter a journalist who is trying to save a friend's daughter swallowed up by the cult, solve a murder, save her own marriage and be there for numorous family crises.

I don't know how good the book is, because I'm forced to read it in drips and drabs: the publisher sends daily emails (about 3-5) in which the story unfolds. This creates natural cliffhangers, not to mention frustration when you want to page over, but can't. The style is typical email style, with no elaborations or descriptions, with the typical shortcuts and typos. All very realistic.

And I can't wait for my next instalment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne,

Hope you're enjoying Freya. I read it a month or so ago and thought it was fantastic, a really innovative way to tell stories on the net.

I bought it for a couple of friends and they enjoyed it as well.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.

Roberta

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

Yes, I did like it. I would definitely buy another one of its kind... except that I might wait for all the emails to arrive before I start reading! :-)