NetGalley

Reviews Published

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hiring Cupid


You only need to look at the cover of Jane Beckenham’s “Hiring Cupid” to realise why I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Even if I didn’t like the story, I reasoned, I could always keep the book by my bedside for ogling purposes.

Still, not to be accused of judging a book by its cover, I read it. Wow. I wish I could write sexual anticipation the way Jane does. Everything in her book sizzles and smoulders and burns with all the colours of passion. I honestly wasn’t sure what was more important: to read on (the plot is great and quite unusual as far as romances go) or to grab a notebook and to steal all the expressions the writer used to heighten the pleasurable tension.

I chose to read on and to worry about honing my own writing skills later (nobody said I’m only allowed to read the book once). And so I followed Carly’s struggle through her very rocky road from sexual paradise on an island to a blissful conclusion. I am ashamed to admit that the surprise twist brought a sentimental tear or three to my eyes.

Some reviewers describe the book as erotica. I wouldn’t go as far, but I can vouch that it will put you in an erotic mood.

You can read more about the book here: Hiring Cupid. Or you can join Jane’s newsletter
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RomanceauthorJaneBeckenham/ to receive 3 excerpts from the book.

No comments: